Why Is Dog Size So Important?
Different Dog Sizes Defined
When people talk about dog sizes, a lot can be left up to interpretation. One person’s definition of a “big” dog might not look anything like another person’s definition. That’s why it’s important to define dog sizes in measurable terms. Here’s are our dog size definitions for your convenience:
- Small Sized Dogs: A small dog weighs between 2 and 22 pounds. They are shorter in stature, usually between 6 and 18 inches, and can be picked up very easily. Some examples of small dog breeds include Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers, and French Bulldogs.
- Medium Sized Dogs: A medium dog will weigh somewhere between 23 and 57 pounds. Medium dogs usually range in height between 19 and 25 inches tall. Just like you would assume, they’re not too big and they’re not too small. Some common examples of medium dogs are Siberian Huskies, Australian Shepherds, and Dalmatians.
- Large Sized Dogs: A large dog typically weighs between 58 and 99 pounds and can stand at 30 inches or taller. Some examples of large dog breeds include Rottweilers, German Shepherds, and Golden Retrievers.
- Giant Sized Dogs: A giant dog can weigh more than 100 pounds and stand at well over 30 inches in height. Some of the most popular giant dog breeds are Great Danes, Irish Wolfhounds, and Mastiffs.
Why Dog Size Matters
Another reason dog size matters are because it can impact the type of personality your dog will have. Small dogs tend to have higher energy levels and will bark very frequently. Larger dogs are usually more laid back and can be more accepting of children. Of course, medium dogs fall somewhere in the middle.
About The Siberian Husky Dog Breed
So far in this blog, we’ve talked about dog breeds in a very general sense. Now it’s time for us to talk about one breed in particular – the Siberian Husky. We are a Husky rescue and adoption center after all! Here are all the answers to your questions about the Siberian Husky:
- How Tall Is a Siberian Husky? Siberian Husky males are about 23 inches in height and females are about 21 inches in height.
- When Do Siberian Huskies Stop Growing? Siberian Huskies grow most rapidly in the first 6 months and then continue to grow until they are about 18 months old.
- How Much Does a Siberian Husky Weigh? A male husky will weigh about 60 pounds whereas a female will weigh about 50 pounds.
- What Kind of Personality Does a Siberian Husky Have? Siberian Huskies are very affectionate dogs. They’re good with people of all ages and get along with other dogs. Huskies are very playful and have lots of energy. They are very quick to adapt and learn new skills. They’re not vigilant dogs, but they do require lots of stimulation.
- What Physical Traits Does a Siberian Husky Have? If you adopt a Siberian Husky, you can expect a lot of shedding, minimal drooling, and infrequent grooming visits.
We know how important this decision is in choosing the right dog to adopt and we want to make sure you have all the information you need to feel confident in your choice. We may be a little biased, but Siberian Huskies really are a great dog breed for many people. If you are interested in learning more about the Siberian Husky breed, or if you are ready to meet our available dogs, please visit us online or in person.